meet the music docent
There are four Meet the Music concerts in the season. Docents must attend two hour meetings at the LACO office before each of the three concerts. After the meetings, docents will then disperse to schools to teach students participating in Meet the Music. Docents are invited to attend the Meet the Music concerts.
Going to schools to teach students about the music they will hear at a LACO concert. Introducing students to classical music in a fun way.
Enthusiasm and the ability to present knowledge in exciting ways to large groups of students. An appreciation of music is a plus, but a musical background is not required. We will provide you with all the information you need to teach the students.
Volunteer Position with insider perks and the invaluable opportunity to experience LACO’s Meet the Music concerts.
Please call Shawne at 213 622 7001 × 212 for more information.
production and education intern
position title: production and education intern
reports to: associate director of production and education
part-time internship for a defined nine month term / modest monthly stipend
To assist the associate director of production and education in effectively and efficiently managing the Orchestra’s current production and operational processes and to assist in the management of the Orchestra’s vital education and community engagement programs.
scope & responsibilities
– The production and education intern assists with maintaining effective communication with LACO musicians, outside venues, guest artists, vendors and staff members regarding daily operations and production activities; the production and education intern assists with overseeing the management of LACO’s community engagement programs, including Meet the Music and Community Partners.
– Assists with scheduling rehearsal spaces as needed and maintains a regular communication of production details to rehearsal and performance venues in an efficient and timely fashion;
– Assists with managing the travel, lodging and transportation of guest artists with accuracy and effectiveness;
– Assists with managing the production of the concert season, run-out concerts, auditions, receptions and other activities as required;
– Assists with the drafting and expediting of artist contracts;
– Assists with the research, purchase, rental and tracking of musical scores and parts in coordination with the associate director and the music librarian; and
– Assists with various group mailings to orchestra members and guest artists, as needed.
education and community engagement
– Assists the associate director with managing the Orchestra’s Meet the Music, Community Partners and Composer-in-Residence programs, assists with contacting schools, docents, social service organizations, musicians, teachers, principals and volunteers;
– Assists with producing and implementing the application and assignment processes for participating schools and social service organizations; and
– Assist with managing any additional community engagement and education activities as required.
– Assists with the supervision, maintenance and installation of office equipment: computers, software, phones, etc.
The ideal candidate for LACO’s production and education intern will be a detail-oriented problem-solver with excellent communication skills, ability to balance competing responsibilities, sensitivity to deadlines and social grace. The candidate must possess the ability to respond efficiently, effectively and creatively to simultaneous challenges and opportunities. Candidate must be motivated, enjoy working as part of dynamic administrative team and possess team spirit.
Familiarity with orchestra management and/or arts administration is very desirable. Knowledge of orchestral repertoire is extremely helpful. Solid computer skills are required. Intern may have the opportunity to assist at evening and weekend concerts and events.
about los angeles chamber orchestra
Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra is “America’s finest chamber orchestra.” (Jim Svejda of PRI’s The Record Shelf). Since its inaugural concerts in 1969, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra has established itself among the world’s top musical ensembles. Under the baton of prominent pianist and conductor Jeffrey Kahane since 1997, LACO maintains its status as a preeminent interpreter of historical masterworks and a champion of contemporary composers. In its 45-year history, the Orchestra has made 29 recordings, toured Europe, South America and Japan, and performed across North America, earning adulation from audiences and critics. LACO presents 7 Orchestral Series concerts both at Glendale’s Alex Theatre and UCLA’s Royce Hall, 5 Baroque Conversations concerts at Zipper Concert Hall, 3 Westside Connections chamber music concerts at the Moss Theater, an annual Discover concert at Ambassador Auditorium and an annual Silent Film celebration at Royce Hall. In addition, LACO presents a Concert Gala and several fundraising events each year. Headquartered in downtown Los Angeles and managed by a staff of 12 full- and 1 part-time employees, LACO offers a collegial workplace and welcomes innovative thinking and initiative.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteering is a satisfying way to give back to your favorite Orchestra. Volunteers have the opportunity to meet the musicians, attend concerts, receive acknowledgment in our season program and more!