- Sunday, 11 Jan 2009
- Royce Hall
- 7 pm
- Jeffrey Kahane, conductor
- Yo-Yo Ma, cello
- Michael Ward-Bergeman, hyper-accordion
- Jamey Haddad, percussion
- Keita Ogawa, percussion
- Fauré Elegy listen
- Osvaldo Golijov Azul (west coast premiere)
- Beethoven Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 92 listen
Feel the electricity when Yo-Yo Ma performs Osvaldo Golijov’s Azul, a work inspired by the open air and the deep blue of the night sky. In writing for the celebrated cellist, Golijov—one of the premier composers of our time—marries the technology of the 21st-century and Baroque sensibility with astonishing results.
Don’t miss Yo-Yo Ma in the Golijov work written for him!
“No one since Leonard Bernstein has personified the joy —
or the passion — of music as has Yo-Yo Ma.” Appassionato
“[Golijov’s] works arouse extraordinary enthusiasm in audiences, because they revive music’s elemental powers: they have rhythms that rock the body into motion and melodies that linger in the mind.” The New Yorker
read the Program Notes
Concert Preludes are fun, informative and free to all ticket holders.
Join us one hour before each concert in the theatre. Some Preludes will feature LIVE performances of short chamber works. All will provide interesting insights into the music and the artists.
become a solo sponsor and meet Yo-Yo Ma
Take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet one of the most well-known and revered musicians of our time and earn other invaluable benefits. In appreciation of your support as a solo sponsor, the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra can offer the following benefits for each $1,250 you give:
- one premium seat at the Yo-Yo Ma Plays Golijov concert on January 11
- one invitation to an exclusive post-concert reception with Yo-Yo Ma and Jeffrey Kahane
- listing as a solo sponsor at the Yo-Yo Ma Plays Golijov concert
- your name in the Orchestra’s honor roll of donors, which appears in all program books, newsletters and patron publications
- invitations to attend exclusive LACO rehearsals
Sponsor at the $2,500 per person level and gain the benefits above, plus
- admission to a backstage intermission gathering to enjoy a glass of champagne with the musicians.
- invitation to attend an exclusive LACO musicale in a private home
Call Lacey at 213 622 7001 × 202 to become a solo sponsor or to get more information.
$300 per person is not tax deductible
Looking for a good place to eat near Royce Hall?
Try some of the great Westwood restaurants.
box office info
Call Jacquie or Marcella in the box office at 213 622 7001 × 215, Mondays – Fridays 9am to 5pm and on concert days from noon to 4pm. The box office is closed on public holidays.
Ticket prices: $50, 85, 125, 175
Tickets are now available online or by phone at 213 622 7001 × 215.
Solo sponsorships are available at $1,250 and 2,500. Each sponsorship includes one premium ticket to the concert.
Call Lacey at 213 622 7001 × 202 to become a solo sponsor.
Please call the box office at the number above if you have any questions.
Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra thanks the following for underwriting national airplay of Yo-Yo Ma Plays Golijov on SymphonyCast and Classical KUSC 91.5 FM: Edith HL & J. Thomas Van Huss, June & Simon Li, and Nahum & Alice Lainer.
- KUSC 91.5 fm Sunday, 15 Nov 2009, 4:00 pm
- KUSC 91.5 fm Saturday, 20 Feb 2010, 6:00 pm
- KUSC 91.5 fm Sunday, 25 Apr 2010, 11:00 am