Explore the genesis of orchestral music through intimate performances with the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra.
This year celebrates the use of a musical form and compositional process important in nearly all music — theme and variations. Join LACO as we embark on an intriguing exploration of how Baroque composers transformed a simple theme or melody into something grand, complex and spectacular!
In signature LACO style, the artists introduce the music from the stage, share their insights and invite your questions.
Performed without intermission, the concerts begin at 7 pm and end at approximately 8:45 pm, including the conversation between the musicians and audience.
Learn more about LACO’s 2013-14 season.
“Our city has had very little exposure to Baroque music, and I can think of no other ensemble better suited for a world-class series of this kind of music than the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, complemented by the intimacy and exquisite acoustics of Zipper Concert Hall at The Colburn School of Music.”
- Warner Henry
Subscriptions for the 2013-14 5-concert Baroque Conversations series are $235 and are available by calling Andrew or Megan in the box office at 213 622 7001 × 1.
Single tickets are $55.
This series is generously sponsored by Carol & Warner Henry, Mr. & Mrs. Robert E.G. Ronus and a Friend of LACO. Thanks also to the many patrons who contributed to the Carol & Warner Henry Challenge.
- Thursday, 05 Dec 2013 Zipper Concert Hall
- Weiss Passacaglia in D major
- Kohaut Lute Concerto in F major (No. 1)
- Cazzati Trattenimento per Camera, Op. 22, Passacaglia
- Cazzati Varii e Diversi Capricci, Op. 50, Ciaconna
- Corelli “La Follia,” Op. 5, No. 12
- Scarlatti Sonata in E minor, K. 81
- Scarlatti Sonata in G major, K. 91
- Scarlatti Sonata in D major, K. 140
- Merula Ciaccona
- Thursday, 06 Feb 2014 Zipper Concert Hall
- Vivaldi Concerto grosso in B minor (arr. Sorrell) after Sonata in B minor, Op. 1, No. 12, RV 63 (“La Follia”)
- Vivaldi Concerto in G minor for Two Cellos
- Bach Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major
- Boccherini “Fandango” (arr. Sorrell) after Guitar Quintet No. 4 in D major, G. 448
- Thursday, 27 Mar 2014 Zipper Concert Hall
- Bach “Ich bin vergnügt mit meinem Glücke” (“I am content in my good fortune”), from Cantata No. 84
- Telemann Concerto in D major for Four Violins, TWV 40:202
- Bach “Es ist vollbracht” (“It is accomplished”), from Cantata No.159
- Bach “Tritt auf die Glaubensbahn” (“Walk in the way of faith”), from Cantata No. 154
- Thursday, 17 Apr 2014 Zipper Concert Hall
- Vivaldi Concerto in F minor for Strings, RV 143
- Telemann Concerto in G major for Four Violins, TWV 40:201
- Handel Concerto Grosso in C major, “Alexander’s Feast”, HWV 318
- Vivaldi Concerto in E minor for Violin, Strings and Continuo, “Il Favorito”, Op. 11, No. 2
- Vivaldi Concerto in D minor for Two Violins, Two Flutes, Two Oboes, Bassoon, Strings and Continuo, RV 566