tweet the music
For more than 20 years, LACO has performed Meet the Music concerts for local students as an enrichment to their arts education. These days, MTM is no longer purely enrichment – it may well be these students’ only opportunity to experience the arts, but with fewer schools able to afford buses for field trips, even participation in a free music education program could be out of reach.
School’s out for the summer – and when the kids come back this fall, will music be part of the lesson plan?
about meet the music
Meet the Music concerts are interactive opportunities allowing elementary school students to experience professional classical music performances in an age-appropriate setting, complete with a guided tour of the music followed by a question-and-answer period – all offered at no charge to the schools. Check out photos of past MTM concerts here and here. In advance of each concert, participating schools receive written curricula, listening CDs and classroom visits from volunteer docents to prepare them for the field trip. Watch this video about MTM!
Last year, due to budget shortfalls, the Los Angeles Unified School District was forced to reduce funding for field trip buses. And now, music and art teachers are being phased out, with half expected to leave the classrooms this year and the rest following in 2011. That is why LACO has decided to raise an extra $10,000 this year to absorb the full cost of transportation for schools that want to participate in Meet the Music, but we need your help!
To make a contribution, visit laco.org/donate. Here are some ways you can help:
- For only $5, you will help provide the students of LAUSD the gift of music.
- A gift of $10 provides Meet the Music classroom activities for six children.
- For $20, you will provide Meet the Music concert transportation for two kids.
- A gift of $35 funds one student’s full participation in MTM.
give $50 or more
and you’ll move to the head of the class with these special perks!
- You can write a special note about the importance of music education to be included in the curriculum sent to the classrooms for MTM.
- We will email you a special recorded message from a child who attended a MTM concert.
spread the word
- Follow @LACOtweets.
- Tell others how to give kids a musical journey this year! Share the link laco.org/tweet on Twitter or Facebook.
- Subscribe to the LACO blog to keep up with the latest developments on Tweet the Music and more from the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra.
- Be an advocate for arts education. Visit Arts for LA to learn more about changes in LAUSD’s arts programs, sign petitions and more.