DIRECTOR OF MARKETING AND MESSAGING
This senior staff position will provide leadership and oversight of LACO’s marketing and messaging, earned revenue, patron services, digital strategy, and external communications toward the achievement of institution-wide strategic goals: to position the Orchestra as an indispensable community resource; to present programs that diversify, expand, and strengthen the LACO community; and to establish a stable financial foundation on which to build the next generation of world-class artistry. In addition to bearing responsibility for subscription and single-ticket revenue, the Director of Marketing and Messaging will collaborate with colleagues on the Senior Staff team in driving LACO’s overall post-pandemic recovery and growth. Additional responsibilities include leading the marketing and communications teams and collaborating closely with the Development and Production Departments to oversee all outward-facing communication institution-wide.
The successful candidate is an optimistic, strategic, collaborative, creative, curious, results-motivated marketing professional with fastidious attention to detail and a demonstrated ability to create and implement a plan toward successful outcomes. They will have extensive experience in the non-profit performing arts sector marketing concerts & events, selling both single and season tickets. Their commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion is reflected in strong written and verbal communication skills. They will have an affinity for classical music but love music of all kinds and seek others with whom to share it. They’re self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented, data-driven, follow industry trends, and have a proven ability to independently and creatively solve problems. They have an entrepreneurial streak and are excited by the opportunities presented by change and innovation. They should exemplify strong project management skills and be motivated by working in a small, collaborative work environment. Applicants should have at least five years of relevant team leadership experience and should demonstrate increasing responsibility and revenue growth scenarios in previous positions. Digital marketing strategy experience including social media, paid advertising, and email. Helpful but not required: working knowledge of Microsoft Office360, PatronManager, SalesForce, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, EMMA or similar email marketing platforms.
- Meet departmental earned revenue goals of approximately $900,000 annually including subscription and single- ticket sales, merchandise sales, and inbound advertising.
- Develop and execute an annual Marketing Plan in alignment with the LACO strategic plan to reach overall organizational revenue goals.
- Responsible for maintaining institution-wide brand consistency and overseeing accurate copy
- Set and manage Marketing Team workflows and goals
- Advance brand awareness and visibility
- Lead a team of two to three full-time employees and consultants for PR, box office operations, and graphic design.
- Create and monitor annual Marketing budget of approximately $450,000, in consultation with Dir. of Finance.
- Manage company-wide design and production of print, digital, OOH (banners, billboards, buses, kiosks, etc.) and physical collateral, including but not limited to brochures, program books, mailings, inserts, posters, website, ads, emails, social media, print mailings, fundraising materials, and branded merchandise.
- Participation at all LACO concerts and special events is expected
This full-time, exempt position with health, vision, and dental benefits with 403(b) retirement match, reporting the Executive Director. Salary range is between $110,000 and $125,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
The Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from diverse candidates, and we are committed to the creation of an inclusive work environment for all employees. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, gender expression/identity, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or criminal conviction.
Interested applicants should send cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com.
Application review begins immediately; applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra (LACO) is seeking an organized and driven development professional to serve as the Senior Manager of Annual Giving. This individual will serve as part of a seasoned team of three that is committed to growing philanthropic support at the nation’s premier chamber orchestra. To apply please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The primary responsibility for this role is donor engagement, stewardship, and solicitation focused on individual donors up to $10,000. Demonstrable, critical skills for a successful candidate include strong interpersonal skills as there is particular emphasis on outreach with donors and growing revenue from annual funds and mid-level supporters. Solicitations will be made in person, over the phone, and via mail and email. This role will collaborate with colleagues from the artistic and marketing departments to lead LACO’s 25+ year new music commissioning program, Sound Investment.
This position reports to the Director of Development.
- Manage a portfolio of individual donors who give up to $10,000 annually; maintain personal contacts and involvement activities for these donors.
- Work in coordination with the Director of Development and communications team to design and manage direct marketing efforts focused on messaging to annual fund and mid-level donors, including multiple direct mail/email appeals annually and regular digital communication.
- In coordination with Director of Development, achieve financial objectives by preparing an annual budget, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions.
- Three to five years of progressive professional fundraising experience required or commensurate; a background in performing arts and working knowledge of classical music is a plus.
- Experience engaging directly with donors and employing moves management processes to encourage increased giving.
- The individual should have experience building out successful donor acquisition and annual fund engagement programs.
- Comfort with managing up and communicating your ideas and recommendations clearly and convincingly.
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to offer creative solutions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (e.g., Excel) and knowledge of and experience with CRM databases (Patron Manager and/or Salesforce CRM software a plus).
- Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion.
Compensation and Culture:
The compensation range for this position is commensurate with experience, between $75,000 – 90,000. Benefits include generous paid vacation days, personal days, and sick time, as well as health, vision, and dental insurance, 403(b) with a 3% match, life insurance, and short- and long-term disability insurance.
Ability to work from home effectively and efficiently in addition to LACO’s regular, required in-office attendance. A primary laptop computer for work at-home and in-office is provided. Valid driver’s license is required.
The Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from individuals with diverse backgrounds, and we actively engage in organizational reforms toward creating an inclusive work environment for all employees. We will not discriminate and will enact measures to ensure against discrimination based on race, color, gender, gender expression/identity, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, criminal conviction, or sexual orientation.
Current and complete COVID-19 vaccination is required and a condition of employment. Consideration for reasonable exceptions will be made. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via email to email@example.com.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter of introduction outlining your specific experience and qualifications and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled. No phone calls, please. Background checks will be required on all final candidates.