box office and patron services associate
full time position/non-exempt
LACO’s marketing team is responsible for positioning the Orchestra in the community to create a positive and attractive image that promotes organizational pride, good publicity, robust and effective fundraising and ticket income. The team’s primary goal is to develop excellent relationships with existing and new patrons.
In support of the director of marketing and marketing department, the box office and patron services associate is responsible for box office and database management, as well as direct-response and relationship marketing. The associate acts as an administrator of LACO’s CRM system, Patron Manager (based in Sales Force), and as the liaison between Patron Manager and the LACO staff. This position embraces LACO’s tagline of “making great music personal” in all interactions with the Orchestra’s patrons and the community at large.
The box office and patron services associate reports to the director of marketing. As part of LACO’s marketing team, the box office and patron services associate works closely with LACO’s senior marketing and patron services associate, LACO’s development team and the finance director. The box office and patron services associate coordinates as necessary with LACO venue box office treasurers; LACO’s CRM system vendor (Patron Manager); public relations and telemarketing consultants; database and list brokers, printers and mail houses. Cross-training, support and cooperation is expected in all areas.
scope & responsibilities
Box Office and Ticketing
- Execute the following box office functions: patron interaction for all subscription, single ticket, group and online sales; ticket fulfillment and daily balancing of sales; income reports and database maintenance;
- Prepare concerts in the box office system including building of houses, seat allocations, discount pricing and tracking, preparation of renewal and acquisition campaigns;
- Staff box office on concert weekends and evenings as assigned;
- Prepare weekly sales and tracking reports, and maintain box office files;
- Provide sales reports daily and as needed to finance director;
- Handle special ticketing for LACO executives and donors and coordinate artists’ tickets with production department;
- Recommend technological upgrades to streamline box office functions and improve efficiency and provide better customer service.
Direct Response and Relationship Marketing
- As staff liaison and administrator of Patron Manager, stay on top of and advise LACO marketing and development teams of upgrades and new features;
- Work closely with LACO’s development team to provide special assistance to LACO donors and VIPs;
- Coordinate, pull and provide monthly updates to database provider (TRG) and secure, fulfil and approve trade lists;
- Maintain hygiene of LACO’s database both in-house (Patron Manager) and with database provider (TRG) including Do Not Mail, Do Not Call, Do Not Trade lists;
- Prepare direct response lists, and coordinate schedule of direct mail and ticketing campaigns with database provider and mail house;
- Assist with the preparation and editing of brochures for accuracy of ticketing information and pricing;
- Actively participate in sales promotions and initiatives;
- Track and report sales results.
The ideal candidate is friendly and personable, has box office experience with exceptional customer service skills and a great phone manner. He/she is an organized, enthusiastic self-starter who pays meticulous attention to detail, is adept at time management and juggling multiple projects, and has a passion for classical music with a strong interest in pursuing a career in arts administration. A sharp memory for patron names and needs is a decided plus. An undergraduate degree is required; an emphasis in marketing, advertising, public relations or music is preferred. Excellent written and verbal skills as well as relevant experience in arts administration, box office, a related industry or not-for-profit organization are required. Knowledge of ticketing and CRM systems is highly desirable. EOE
Please email resume, comprehensive cover letter and additional writing sample to:
firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please
about the los angeles chamber orchestra
Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra (LACO), proclaimed “America’s finest chamber orchestra” by Public Radio International and “resplendent” by the Los Angeles Times, has established itself among the world’s top musical ensembles. Since 1997, LACO has performed under the baton of acclaimed conductor and pianist Jeffrey Kahane, hailed by critics as “visionary” and “a conductor of uncommon intellect, insight and musical integrity” with “undeniable charisma,” “effortless musicality and extraordinary communicative gifts.” Under Kahane’s leadership, the Orchestra maintains its status as a preeminent interpreter of historical masterworks and a champion of contemporary composers. Headquartered in downtown Los Angeles, LACO presents its Orchestral Series on Saturdays at Glendale’s Alex Theatre and on Sundays at UCLA’s Royce Hall; Baroque Conversations at downtown Los Angeles’ Zipper Concert Hall; Westside Connections chamber music series at the Moss Theater in Santa Monica; and an annual Discover concert, which features an in-depth examination that sheds new light on a single piece of music, at Pasadena’s Ambassador Auditorium. LACO also presents a Concert Gala, an annual film screening and several fundraising salons each year. Additionally, LACO outreach programs, Meet the Music, Community Partners, Campus to Concert Hall and the LACO/USC Thornton Strings Mentorship Program, reach thousands of young people annually, nurturing future musicians and composers as well as inspiring a love of classical music.
special events intern
reports to: director of advancement
part time position/non-exempt
The ideal candidate for the position of Special Events Intern will be a personable, detail-oriented problem solver with excellent communication skills. The Intern must possess the ability to organize a lot of information in a clear, concise manner, and respond both quickly and with imagination to a variety of simultaneous challenges. Solid computer skills including the use of databases, Microsoft Word and Excel are a must. The Intern will be required to work some evening and weekend hours.
special events at LACO
In 2014-15, LACO has a variety of special events, including the annual Concert Gala, an annual
Film fundraising event and several in-home fundraising and donor appreciation events. In total,
special events are responsible for raising $725,000 of the Orchestra’s annual budget. While
providing development support for events as needed, the primary project for this internship will be developing, organizing and running the silent and live auctions for our annual Concert Gala.
The special events intern reports to the Director of Advancement, and works regularly with the
development and marketing departments.
Support development department on special events by:
- maintaining the auction database, mailing coordination and communications
- track and follow-up with potential auction donors via phone, email and snail mail
- manage the auction needs, communicating regularly with the director of advancement, development associate and gala committee members regarding items received and those still needed to round out the auction
- assisting in the creation of the auction catalog, both online and in print
- assist with on-site auction coordination from set-up through tear-down
- auction follow-up and acknowledgement
- assist with coordinating additional event and development mailings, lists, timely acknowledgements and filing as needed
- additional projects as needed
- learn how a nonprofit art organization functions
- experience working in an office environment with staff members at all levels
- gain hands-on experience in major special events by working on silent auction, live auction, and party planning
- gain knowledge of annual donor cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and recognition
- experience arts promotion, patron services and advertising
Please email resume and comprehensive cover letter to: email@example.com
about the los angeles chamber orchestra
Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra is “America’s finest chamber orchestra.” (Jim Svejda of PRI’s
The Record Shelf) Since its inaugural concerts in 1969, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra has
established itself among the world’s top musical ensembles. Under the baton of prominent pianist and conductor Jeffrey Kahane since 1997, LACO maintains its status as a preeminent interpreter of historical masterworks and a champion of contemporary composers. In its 45-year history, the Orchestra has made 31 recordings, toured Europe, South America and Japan, and performed across North America, earning adulation from audiences and critics. LACO presents seven Orchestral Series concerts on Saturdays at Glendale’s Alex Theatre or Pasadena’s Ambassador Auditorium and on Sundays at UCLA’s Royce Hall; five Baroque Conversations concerts at downtown Los Angeles’ Zipper Concert Hall at The Colburn School; three Westside Connections chamber music concerts at the Moss Theater in Santa Monica; and an annual Discover concert, which features an in-depth examination that sheds new light on a single piece of music, at Pasadena’s Ambassador Auditorium. In addition, LACO presents a Concert Gala, Silent Film screening and several fundraising events each year. Headquartered in downtown Los Angeles and managed by a staff of 12 full- and several part-time employees, LACO offers a collegial workplace and welcomes innovative thinking and initiative.
meet the music docent
There are four Meet the Music concerts each season. Docents are asked to attend a two hour weekday morning training session at the LACO offices a few weeks prior to each of the four concerts. After the meetings, docents will then disperse to schools to teach students participating in Meet the Music. Docents are invited to attend all Meet the Music concerts.
Going to schools to teach students about the music they will hear at a LACO concert. Introducing students to classical music in a fun way.
Enthusiasm and the ability to present knowledge in exciting ways to large groups of 4th, 5th and 6th graders. An appreciation of music is a big plus, but a musical background is not required. We will provide you with all the information and training that you will need to teach the students.
Volunteer Position with insider perks and the invaluable opportunity to experience LACO’s Meet the Music concerts. Parking for training sessions and Meet the Music concerts will be provided.
Please call Shawne at 213 622 7001 × 212 for more information.
Volunteering is a satisfying way to give back to your favorite Orchestra. Volunteers have the opportunity to meet the musicians, attend concerts, receive acknowledgment in our season program and more!